Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Mehndi by Kam Commission Shoot

Last weekend I got the chance to photograph a mehndi (henna) artist at work. Kam does mehndi 'on the side' of her full-time job and has been doing it for a few years now. Her artistic skills really do show in her work and I was mesmerised by how quickly her hand was moving yet how beautiful and intricate the designs were. It was like she could do it with her eyes closed - effortless! She is working on building her portfolio and promoting herself more as she recently had a flurry of friends weddings where she was asked to do mehndi. For me, this is the first time I have been asked to photograph a piece of art like this so it was a bit tricky. I had issues with focus and lighting, I should have not had the f-number so low and there was a lack of natural light. I wish I could have the chance to photograph the mehndi once it has been scrubbed off and the marks have been left behind because it truly does look beautiful (see this post). The last shot is the bride during the 'maiya' (read more about that here) and I fell in love with the vibrant colours. Links to Kam's social platforms will be up here soon once she gets those sorted. It's not my best but I have learnt from it! What do you all think?


Mehndi by Kam Mehndi by Kam Mehndi by Kam Mehndi by Kam Mehndi by Kam Mehndi by Kam Maiya

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow I love this - such great pictures! Love the 2nd, 3rd and 4th shots :)
    Saadiya x

    www.thatgirlsaadiya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!